A free school holiday programme for West Auckland teens
Break-Away is a school holiday programme that provides young people with fun, stimulating and structured outdoor activities during the school holidays. It is designed to give them constructive things to do that will support their personal development. It also aims to promote physical activity.
We provide a safe environment where young people are able to participate in physical activity in a way that promotes their self-esteem and the value of physical activity
Adventure Specialties Trust has received government funding for providing Break-Away school holiday programmes for areas of West Auckland.
This means that YOU can be part of this fantastic and fun 2 ½ day outdoor adventure holiday programme for FREE*
*You must reside within our funding zones and be 11-17 years of age at the time of the programme to be eligable
We run mulitple programmes every school holidays split into two age groups.
Junior Programmes: 11 – 13 year olds
Senior Programmes: 14 – 17 year olds
What to Bring
- A packed lunch each day, snacks and a drink bottle
- Togs, towel, sunhat and sunscreen
- A spare change of warm dry clothes for afterwards
- Wear sports clothes and walking shoes that can get wet and dirty (no jandals)
We will provide all specialist clothing and equipment
Day 1 & 2: 9am – 5pm (full days)
Day 3: 9am – 1pm (half day)
Drop off and pick up:
Adventure Specialties Trust (Auckland)
4 Winston Place, Henderson
- build social, interpersonal and communication skills, so the young person can manage and respond positively to challenges and make positive choices about their lives
- a positive alternative to high-risk, anti-social behaviour such as experimenting with drugs or being involved in crime
- to improve attitudes and engagement with school and improve their self- confidence and self-esteem
- learn about the importance of being physically active, gain adaptable skills through participation and become aware of physical activities available in their communities.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
To be eligibile for our BreakAway School Holiday Programmes you must:
- Be 11-17 years of age at the time of the programme, and
- Usually reside withing one of our 3 funding zones
- Henderson-Massey Local Board
- Waitākere Ranges Local Board
- Whau Local Board
Click here to search your address on the Auckland Council website to find out which Local Board you reside in.
HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN ATTEND?
Each programme has 10 spaces available.
These spaces are always in high demand.
WHO HAS PRIORITY?
Priority 1: first time participants.
Priority 2: those who have previously applied for the programme but been waitlisted.
Applications are accepted on a first come first served basis for eligible participants.
You can only attend ONE programme per school holidays.
Adventure Specialties Trust reserves the right to refuse, withdraw, alter or amend programme applications.
I’VE APPLIED, NOW WHAT?
Please check that your name has been added to the list of applicants (on this webpage).
IMPORTANT: Only the first 10 names are confirmed for attending the programme. All names after this are on a waitlist.
Junior Programme (Ages 11-13 years)
Wednesday 18th January – Friday 20th January 2023
Wed, Thurs 9-5pm / Fri 9-1pm
IMPORTANT: This programme has 10 spaces.
Applicants # 11 onwards will go on a waitlist.
(If you are not sure whether you are on the waitlist, please contact us email@example.com or 09-8376033)
Confirmed participants (#1-10)
Waitlist participants (#11+)
There are no Senior Programmes running in January 2023
Check out what we had to say on our Adventure Specialties Trust Facebook page about our last Breakaway Programme
Want to star in our next social media post? Come along on our adventures and you just might find yourself becoming a little more famous
Check out some of the activites we do:
*Please note this is not an exclusive list. Instructors will chose activities for each programme based on the weather, participants’ abilities, equipment availability, ocean tides among other factors.